Rustle up a fantastic weeknight dinner without a trip to the supermarket. Everything you need to make this quick and easy pasta can be found in your pantry for a fast go-to dinner option any night of the week!
- 2 slices country bread
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 large lemon , zested
- 3/4 pound spaghetti or linguine
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the bread into 1/3-inch cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil and spread in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake until golden — 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fill a medium stockpot with water and bring to boil. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper, and salt, and cook until onion is golden brown. Remove skillet from heat and add the parsley, capers, and lemon zest.
- Add about 2 tablespoons coarse salt to the boiling water, add the pasta, and cook until al dente — about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Slowly whisk the reserved pasta water into the egg yolks and remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add the egg mixture and spaghetti to the skillet. Toss to combine and cook over low heat until warmed through — 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with Parmigiano-Reggiano and the croutons and serve immediately.